Can Dogs Eat Grapes and Raisins?

Sep 6, 2023 | Dogs & Puppies | 0 comments

Ever shared an apple slice or a piece of carrot with your dog? It’s not unusual, as some fruits and veggies are safe for our four-legged friends. But be careful! Not all foods we enjoy are safe for dogs. Grapes and raisins are two of these potentially dangerous foods. Let’s delve into why.

Dogs and People Eat Differently

Our pups’ tummies aren’t quite like ours. They come from a long line of meat eaters, and their bodies are built to handle that kind of diet. While they can handle some plant foods, others can be dangerous. Grapes and raisins are part of the ‘danger’ category.

Grapes and Raisins are No-Nos

There’s something in grapes and raisins that dogs’ bodies don’t like. We don’t know exactly what that ‘something’ is yet, but we know it can seriously ill dogs. It affects their kidneys, which can be very dangerous.

dog and grapes

How to Spot Trouble

If your dog snuck a few grapes or raisins, there are some signs you can look for. Your pup might throw up or have diarrhea. They might seem unusually tired or restless or not want to eat. If your dog stops or pees less, that’s a red flag. If you notice these signs, get your pup to a vet immediately.

Treating Grape and Raisin Snacking

Vets have some tricks to help dogs that eat grapes or raisins. They might try to make your dog throw up any fruit they haven’t digested yet. They may use charcoal to keep the body from absorbing the bad stuff in the fruit. They’ll also give fluids to help the kidneys work better and flush the toxins out. In really bad cases, a dog might need dialysis, which is a treatment that cleans the blood.

Symptoms of Grape and Raisin Toxicity in Dogs

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Hyperactivity
  • Abdominal pain
  • Decreased appetite
  • Decreased urination or cessation of urination
  • Lethargy

Keeping Your Dog Safe

What is the best way to keep your dog safe? Keep grapes and raisins out of paw’s reach. Make sure everyone in the house knows not to share these fruits with your pup. Also, check the labels on pet food and treats. Sometimes, these can sneakily contain raisins or other dangerous foods. When in doubt, ask your vet!

Grapes and raisins may seem harmless, but they can harm our dogs. If your pup accidentally gets ahold of these fruits, prompt vet care can make a big difference. But, as always, the best treatment is prevention. So, let’s keep those grapes and raisins to ourselves!

 

American paws divider

 

FAQs

Are grape seeds or skins harmful to dogs or the whole fruit?

As of now, the specific toxin in grapes that causes harm to dogs is not identified. This toxicity is not associated with a particular part of the grape, like the seed or skin. It’s best to avoid feeding your dog any part of the grape or raisin, whole or not.

My dog ate a grape; should I induce vomiting at home?

It’s not recommended to induce vomiting at home without guidance from a professional. Call your veterinarian immediately for advice if your dog ate a grape or raisin.

Are certain breeds more susceptible to grape or raisin toxicity?

As far as we know, all breeds can be affected by grape or raisin toxicity. It’s not a breed-specific issue.

My dog ate a piece of cake with raisins in it. Is that dangerous?

Yes, it could be dangerous. Even small amounts of raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. If your dog has eaten anything with raisins, contact your vet immediately.

Can dogs have grape juice or wine?

No, dogs should not consume grape juice, wine, or any other products made from grapes. The potential for toxicity remains.

Is there an antidote for grape or raisin poisoning in dogs?

There is no specific antidote for grape and raisin toxicity. Treatment is focused on preventing further absorption of the toxins, supporting kidney function, and, if necessary, dialysis.

My dog had eaten grapes before and didn’t get sick. Can I continue to feed him grapes?

No, even if your dog had eaten grapes or raisins before and was not visibly affected, that doesn’t mean it’s safe. A dog can develop symptoms after several exposures, and the toxicity can have cumulative effects. Always avoid feeding these fruits to your dog.

Comments

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

CONTACT US

Subscribe for Newsletter

Stay always in touch! Subscribe to our newsletter.