How to Make a Dog Throw Up?

Aug 30, 2023 | Dogs & Puppies | 1 comment

Hey, fellow dog lover! So, your furry friend’s sense of adventure got them into a tight spot, huh? We’ve all been there. One minute, Fido’s happily wagging his tail; the next, he’s swallowed something he shouldn’t have. First thing: don’t panic. We got this.

We’ll guide you through how to make a dog throw up. But, a quick heads-up: sometimes, inducing vomiting isn’t the best idea. Let’s get into the nitty-gritty, shall we?

Before We Dive In, A Quick Note of Caution

Hey, I get it. Your pooch’s safety is a priority, numero uno. But before you go on the warpath trying to make your dog throw up, it’s essential to check in with the vet. Some items can cause more damage to come back up. Other times, there are better ways to handle the situation. Got it? Okay, let’s roll.

When Should You Consider Making Your Dog Vomit?

Let’s set the stage: You’ve spotted your dog chowing down on a chocolate bar or gulping down some medication. These are classic “Uh-oh!” moments. Inducing vomiting can be a useful first-aid step if:

  • You’ve witnessed the ingestion recently (within the last two hours).
  • The item swallowed is known to be harmful but not caustic or sharp.

In layman’s terms? If your pup swallowed something toxic (like certain human foods or meds), but it’s not corrosive or pointy (like batteries or toys), getting them to puke might be the way to go.

When NOT to Make Your Dog Vomit

Remember that heads-up I gave earlier? Here’s where it counts.

  • Sharp Objects: If Rex decided that the Christmas ornament was a chew toy, making him throw it up might lead to injuries in his throat or mouth.
  • Corrosive Substances: Cleaning agents, batteries, or anything that can burn? Yeah, that’ll do damage going down and coming back up.
  • If They’re Already Showing Serious Symptoms: If Buddy’s already in distress, convulsing, unconscious, or struggling to breathe, get to a vet. STAT.
  • It’s Been A While: If it’s been more than 2 hours since the misadventure, chances are the item’s moved beyond the stomach. Your best bet? The vet’s office.

Making Your Dog Throw Up

The How-To Guide: Making Your Dog Throw Up

If you’ve weighed the risks and decided to proceed, the commonly recommended method is using 3% hydrogen peroxide. Here’s the step-by-step:

  • Measure Out the Dose: Typically, it’s 1 teaspoon (5 ml) for every 10 pounds of body weight. But remember, it’s a rough guide. Never exceed 3 tablespoons (45 ml), even if you own a direwolf. 😉
  • Administer the Dose: Use a syringe (without the needle, of course!) or a turkey baster. If your dog’s being a diva, mix it with a small amount of vanilla ice cream or honey. It’s all about those incentives!
  • Wait and Watch: Usually, if it’s going to work, it’ll happen within 15 minutes. You might be tempted to repeat the dose if no vomit appears after the grand performance. Hold that thought and check with a vet first.
  • After the Show: Remove any remaining vomit from their reach once your pet’s thrown up.

What If Hydrogen Peroxide Isn’t on Hand?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you don’t have hydrogen peroxide, there aren’t many safe, vet-approved alternatives to induce vomiting at home. Your best bet? Yep, you guessed it. Vet time.

The Aftermath: Post-Vomit Vibes

So, the deed’s done. But you’re not off the hook just yet. It’s super important to:

  • Inspect the Vomit: Yep, it’s gross. But you need to check if the offending item came up.
  • Hydrate: Make sure Fido has access to fresh water. He’s had a workout, after all.
  • Monitor: Keep a keen eye on your pup for any concerning symptoms. If anything seems off, guess where you’re going? (Hint: it rhymes with the scheme.)

In Conclusion: Always Trust Your Gut (and Your Vet!)

While knowing how to make a dog throw up is a handy skill for any pet owner, using this knowledge responsibly is essential. It’s always a good idea to consult a professional when in doubt. They went to school for this stuff!

Your doggo depends on you to make the best choices for them, and you’re doing a stellar job by educating yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back and give your pup an extra treat (a safe one, of course!).

 

American paws divider

 

FAQs

Are there breeds that are more sensitive to induced vomiting?

Yes, some breeds, particularly those with flat faces like Bulldogs, Pugs, and Shih Tzus, have a higher risk of aspiration (inhaling vomit into the lungs). It’s always best to consult a vet before inducing vomiting, especially for these breeds.

My dog ate grapes/raisins, which I’ve heard are toxic. Should I induce vomiting?

Grapes and raisins can be very toxic to some dogs. If your dog has consumed them, it’s a good idea to induce vomiting. However, remember the golden rule: always check with a vet first. The sooner you act, the better the outcome is likely to be.

Can I use salt or mustard to make my dog vomit?

While some older resources might suggest these methods, they’re not recommended. Both salt and mustard can cause other complications and aren’t as effective as 3% hydrogen peroxide. Stick with the vet-approved methods!

What if my dog seems fine after eating something harmful? Do I still need to worry?

Some toxic substances might not show symptoms immediately. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. If you know your dog has consumed something potentially harmful, consult your vet, even if Fido seems perfectly fine.

My dog swallowed a sock. What should I do?

They might pass if it’s a small sock and a big dog. However, objects like socks can cause blockages in the intestines, which are life-threatening. It’s not always safe to induce vomiting in this situation. It’s time for a trip to the vet for advice or possible intervention.

Comments

1 Comment

  1. Emma

    had to do this once when swallowed something he shouldn’t have. Scary moment but the vet-approved method worked like a charm….

Submit a Comment

CONTACT US

Subscribe for Newsletter

Stay always in touch! Subscribe to our newsletter.